Above Soar Mill Cove


Land makes up almost 95% of the Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) area. The remaining 5% is tidal estuary waters. Discover the 15 landscape types of South Devon AONB and find out why they make this place so special and worthy of the protection the AONB national designation enables.


The South Devon AONB is characterised by its peaceful countryside, pretty villages, rolling hills, colourful hedge banks, green lanes, orchards and wooded valleys. It is an ancient countryside with generations of human activity etched into the grain of the landscape. Farmers continue to manage the countryside as they have done for thousands of years.

Have a look at four features that are distinctive to the AONB countryside: